Here are my top 5 concert experiences so far this year:
1. Midnight Oil at the Greek August 19th. One of my favorite bands of all time returned to the road after a decade and a half of not being together. They picked up right up where they left off- as one of the most important bands, and best live acts ever! Thank you to my good friend Nancy for getting me in to this show!
2. The Alarm w the Forty Nineteens at Wein's Family Cellars August 11th. Mike Peters was as strong a presence onstage as ever. His boundless energy and love for what he does turns everyone who sees him into an avid fan. Performing at one of the best venues in the Temecula Valley didn't hurt either.
3. Bush & Gin Blossoms & Lindsey Carrier at Balloon & Wine Festival June 4th . Lake Skinner provides another amazing outdoor location for the festival that been around a long time and continues to impress. If you spent the entire day there you got one of our Rising Star artists Lindsey Carrier on a big stage with big sound and sounding better than ever. If you stayed til the end you got Gin Blossoms in great form and Gavin Rossdale seeming to enjoy himself as Bush rocked the festival to a climax on that warm Saturday night.
4. Bryan Ferry at Humphreys (from a kayak) on August 23rd. I had watched other concerts from the water outside this venue before, but this was the first time in a kayak. This time we were able to get right up front, lay back and enjoy all the Roxy Music classics as well as Ferry's large catalog of hits. This was the only concert where getting there and leaving was almost as fun as the concert too!
5. Slightly Stoopid at the Del Mar Track August 26th. Not many radio stations play Slightly Stoopid...I'm quite proud to say Radio 94/5 does. It's a shame out of SoCal SS doesn't get the attention they deserve, but at home they rocked what was probably the largest crowd of the entire racing season artists.
There are some shows coming up that might replace theses as favorites...but then again..maybe I'll just do a Top ten at the end of the year instead...