Our Rising Star competition is about to fire up again....stay tuned for details.
In the meantime this is one of the better...and most local of entries for our 2017 competition...let's hope they enter again in 2018.
Radio 94/5 Artist 10 Questions
1) What is the name of the band? Grass (Check bio at www.grassband.org for the name’s meaning)
2) What are all the members names? John Lane (singer/songwriter/rhythm guitar), John Michael Lecler (lead guitar), Duayne Christopherson (drums, backing vocals), Robert Mann (bass, backing vocals)
3) What previous bands were any members in? John Lane with the Rastanots (reggae, drums / backing vocals, lead vocals)
4) What bands or artists influenced you? Bob Dylan, Neil Young, John Mayer, Jim Croce, The Band, Grateful Dead
5) What was you first ever gig? John Lane’s first gig was a guitar / keyboard duo with David Scott (brother of the famous Darrell Scott) at Back to the Grind in Riverside, circa 1997. The first Grass gig? Duo at Crush and Brew. First full band Grass gig was at Baily’s in 2014.
6) What was your best ever gig? Sold out Belly-Up, September 2015, opened for The Highwayman Show (Tony Suraci). Sound crew leader heard us play Johnny Cash’s “Big River” during soundcheck and told us we got extra time so we could finish our set with that one. Many friends from many years were in attendance. The show was flawless and we were given a standing O at show’s end. It was something I will never, ever forget. The love and appreciation for my original music and the band’s musicianship was tremendous.
7) What is best song you have ever written? One that has yet to be recorded, but is being played as a show opener. “Jukebox Cover Band”. It’s all about my thoughts on original music, drunks at shows screaming for the hits, people digging my original tunes and the band’s musicianship, inspired by years of that sort of thing and a particular show where the Twilight Zone met Monty Python’s Flying Circus.
8) What do you hope to accomplish in the next year? Record our second studio album and second live album. Get back to the Belly-Up and continue to push the brand and the music forward.
9) What artist would you most like to collaborate with? John Mayer
10) How would you describe your music. Original blues rock, catchy lyrics, catchy arrangement and solid musicianship.